March 27, 2014
Dear WISD Parents:
With state testing just around the corner, I’d like to take a moment to provide you with information regarding these exams.
The Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) are the state standards that define what students should know and be able to accomplish for each grade level. In Weatherford ISD, our curriculum is designed to make sure our students are learning what is required for their grade level/subject. Periodically, WISD gives district-designed tests that provide feedback to students and teachers on the progress they are making throughout the year. The annual measure of our success in teaching students occurs each spring with the administration of the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®).
STAAR® test results provide parents a cumulative evaluation of their child’s progress for the school year. These results are also important to Weatherford ISD. They confirm we are meeting the academic needs of our students, allow us to create individual plans for students, and are one of the indicators we use to evaluate our academic programs.
Below are some tips to help your child shine during testing days:
• Make sure they get a good night’s sleep so they are well-rested, alert, and attentive.
• Provide them with a nutritious breakfast. Research shows that “brain foods” include whole grains, berries, eggs, yogurt, cantaloupe, and peanut butter.
• Guide them to select school-appropriate clothing that will be comfortable during the day.
• If they use assistive devices, such as glasses, be sure they bring these to school.
• Make sure they arrive to school on time.
• Encourage them to do their best without creating anxiety.
• Wish them good luck before leaving for school.
• Ask about their day.
Our teachers are focused on making sure every child achieves academic success. We believe in the learning that happens in our classrooms, and we have confidence in our students’ abilities to be successful on these state assessments.
Jeffrey Hanks, Ph. D.
The TEKS may be viewed at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=6148 .
The 2013 STAAR® tests and answer keys may be viewed at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/staar/testquestions/